CASE CO-ORDINATORNursing Department
The main purpose of the job is to ensure effective, efficient, and timeous monitoring of referrals, admissions, discharges, compliance and patient movements working closely within a multidisciplinary team.
Clinical Function: Referral process
- To participate in all new on and offsite admission screening meetings.
- Develop contacts and build a network of professional relations with referring partners in order to optimize the continuum of care across all levels of care whilst enhancing the patient care experience
- To promote and maintain good interdisciplinary relationships with the referring sources.
- Ongoing verbal and written information sharing and liaison with referring facilities to facilitate an efficient and smooth -running referring and admission system.
- Proactively report bed availability and communicate this with all referring facilities once a week.
- Screen all new referrals applications to ensure that patients meet our admission criteria.
- Ensure that all documentation is in place for a referral to be processed at admissions meeting.
- Monitor the capturing of prospective patient information, distribution of minutes and all relevant patient information to the MDT prior to the admissions meeting.
- Ensure that an effective communication system for referrals is in place and put recommendations for review and change forward when required
Admission and discharge process
- To optimize the continuum of care by managing the patient effectively throughout the admissions period and from admission back into the community
- Enhancing the patient flow management by improving the admissions process, and assist with comprehensive discharge planning
- To ensure comprehensive patient flow and bed management system in collaboration with the clinical team
- Ensure that the bed capacity is utilized efficiently and effectively, whilst maintaining patient safety
- To proactively report bed availability and communicate this with all referring facilities
- Manage patient’s admissions and emergency transfers and provide comprehensive reports to the clinical managers
- Maintain excellent written and verbal communication with all disciplines in the various referral system
- Provide clinical support in decision making within the clinical team
- Regular reporting on bed availability and identify trends in medical conditions
- Work closely with the clinical team to expedite admissions
- Patient discussions forums monitoring coordinate e.g., case discussion
- Monthly Reports with statistical information regarding patient documentation, recordkeeping updated patient data, trends, predictions and recommendations
- Weekly written and verbal information to referring facilities regarding bed capacity and availability.
- Development Monitoring and implementation of SOP, s and care plans
- Input current information of medication on patient care plan and update any changes
Services Quality and compliance
- Understand the importance of quality in relation to every day work
- Participate in quality measures to ensure that the service is provided of a high standard
- Uphold the vision, mission and values of the St Joseph’s Intermediate Paediatric Care.
- Facilitate patient and parent satisfaction.
- Ethical compliance and professional practice
- Monitor evaluate and coordinate care provision to ensure that it is safe, timely, effective, efficient, equitable, and patient-centered.
- Monitor and assist with development of care plans according to SJIPC service packages and SOP’s, review case progress and coordinate discharge plan
- Participation in patient quality improvement discussion forums (e.g., monthly combined meetings; Monday morning ward rounds and weekly case discussions) to evaluate if projected care plan outcomes are met within expected timeframes.
- Facilitate communication to make sure all stakeholders are kept up to date with patient progress and adjustments to care and discharge plans.
- Advocate for the patients by checking that patients (where applicable) are informed about their clinical status and condition management so that they can make informed decisions.
- To regularly check that clinical record keeping is in accordance with the relevant healthcare acts and regulations.
- To monitor records and administrative tasks to evaluate if it is up to date and meets clinical standards in line with professional body guidelines and requirements.
Strategic Role and function
- In conjunction with the deputy matron and registered nurses implement effective strategies for control and evaluate and report on the standards of service delivery and make recommendations.
- Take responsibility for the effectiveness of service delivery.
- To form part of the patient safety committee
- Demonstrate effective communication with patients, parents, supervisors and other team members.
- Work as part of the multidisciplinary team to ensure good overall clinical care
- To be able to work with and have an understanding of diversity in order to work and communicate with persons of diverse backgrounds.
- Able to plan and organize own work and mentor personnel to ensure proper clinical care.
- Display and create awareness of values mission and vision of the organization in conduct and engagements.
- Ability to form sound interpersonal relations internally and externally.
- Confidentiality adherence; POPIA
- Degree or Diploma in Nursing/ Allied Health
- Current registration with SANC / HPCSA
- Understanding of scope of practice of discipline categories according to job description.
- Understanding of legislation and ethical requirements and how these impacts on service delivery.
- To be clinically sound /knowledgeable to be able to judge and facilitate appropriate admissions
- To be knowledgeable about the child health sector within the department of health (ensure early discharges, and safety net)
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem solving skills, critical thinking and ability to multi-task
- Teamwork skills
- Computer literacy MS Excel; MS Office; MS PowerPoint
- At least three (3) years general work experience with 1 to 2 years working with children and youth
Personality, Attributes, Skills and Abilities
- Driver’s License. (Code 10 is advantageous)
- Work both independently and as an active team member
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Proficiency in English and Afrikaans. Proficiency in isiXhosa an added advantage
- Maturity and sensitivity to cultural and individual differences
- Maintain professional demeanour while exercising judgment and discretion in work
- Must be able to work well with children
- Must be energetic
- Must demonstrate initiative
- Commitment to the mission, values and goals of the Organisation
- Ability to relate to and willingness to engage in fun, sporting and creative activities with children and youth
- Good administration, report writing
- Clear criminal record
- Closing date for all applications is Friday, 16 February 2024
- Interviewing of shortlisted candidates will take place soon after closing date
- Relocation costs will NOT be covered by the employer
- Reference checks will be conducted
- The employer reserves the right to not appoint
- Candidates must be able to commence employment as soon as is reasonably possible